For treatment to be successful, the clinician and the patient must form a team and work together towards the common purpose of achieving wellness. At PCSD, we feel that an essential ingredient for this formula is a patient well informed on the nature and treatment of his/her condition.
When you visit PCSD, you will be provided with information in one or more of a variety of formats, including pamphlets, reading lists, audiotapes, and videotapes.
Links for Patient and Family Education: We have also selected a number of websites which provide useful information about psychiatry, psychiatric diagnoses, and treatment. There is also detailed information about psychiatric medications. You will find that availing yourself (and, if you so desire, your family) of these resources will positively impact the outcome of your treatment.
DISCLAIMER: Although Psychiatric Centers at San Diego (PCSD) strives for the highest quality in the resources offered here, it is not responsible for the validity or accuracy of the material presented in the Web Sites listed below. PCSD does not endorse any of the medications, products, or treatments described, mentioned, or discussed in any of the services, databases, or pages in the list. PCSD does not allow for the exchange of patient information and/or patient interaction through our website.
Always consult a licensed mental health professional before making any decision regarding treatment choices or changes in your treatment. Never discontinue treatment or medication without first consulting your psychiatrist or therapist. Online resources are to be used only for general, educational, and informational purposes and are not meant to nor cannot replace the specialized training and professional judgement of a health care or mental health care professional. Please consult your own physician or appropriate mental health care provider about the applicability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your own symptoms or medical conditions.
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Psychological Association
- Healthy Minds
- Medications (National Institute of Mental Illness)
- MedlinePlus (National Library of Medicine)
- Mental Health InfoSource
- Mental Health Net
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI)
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- National Mental Health Association
- RXList – The Internet Drug Index
- Positive Psychology by George Koumaras, Ph.D.
ALCOHOL AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE
- Al-Anon and Alateen
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- Center for Addiction and Mental Health
- Cocaine Anonymous World Services Online
- The Drug and Alcohol Treatment and Prevention
- Narcotics Anonymous
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE/OTHER DEMENTIAS
- Anxiety Disorders (NIMH)
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA)
- International Obsessive-Compulsive Foundation
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (NIMH)
- Panic Disorder (NIMH)
- Social Phobia/Social Anxiety Association
- The Trichotillomania Learning Center
ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER
- International Foundation for Research and Education on Depression
- National Depressive and Manic Depressive Association
- Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) (NMHA)